BY: Daniel Pearce, D.O., FACOI, AAHIVMS
• Idaho public health leaders announced Tuesday that they activated “crisis standards of care” allowing health care rationing for the state’s northern hospitals because there are more coronavirus patients than the institutions can handle. This is Rationing is when a service is denied to some so that others can receive care. The decision may be based on ability to heal and some propose not treating those who are unvaccinated less intensely in order to treat those who truly cared about their health and got the vaccine.¬ The feeling is you didn’t care enough to get the vaccine and you made your decision to take the risk and now the odds are not in your favor.
• Vaccinated healthcare workers are getting Covid more frequently since there is loosening of masking and distancing in society and the delta variant is more transmissible
• Health Care Workers quitting or retiring early due to Covid stresses. A nurse says, “It’s not fair for people who are unvaccinated to harm other people,” she told Newsweek on Saturday.”The Hippocratic oath is very science-based,” she said. “I am following the science. I’m applying this to the benefit of the sick.”
• Now the largest killer of police is Covid.
• Surveys were completed by 1656 healthcare workers. Of these, 1391 returned the survey after their first vaccine dose, and 850 returned it after their second dose. The response rate was 20.3%. After the first dose of vaccine, 9.6% of the participants missed work or considered calling in sick for a work shift. After the second dose, 39.1% of participants missed work or considered calling in sick. Of those who did miss work, the majority reported missing one work shift. So the second shot caused more symptoms, but they were better protected from severe Covid and long-term Covid.
• Thailand is turning wasted plastic bottles into thread to weave into personal protective equipment (PPE). There is a shortage of PPE there.
• A zoo in Illinois is vaccinating some of the animals. “We know a variety of animal species can transmit and become sick from corona viruses, “said the chief veterinarian. Primates, small carnivores, big cats and bears will be among the first to get shots.
• Should providers be punished for spreading false information about Covid? I voted yes since this false information influences people to make poor decisions for themselves and others they have contact with. Have I spread Covid to someone which resulted in their suffering? A heavy question.
PEOPLE WHO ARE TRANSGENDER TWICE AS LIKELY TO DIE
A large study of people over 50 in The Netherlands shows that mortality is twice as high for people who are transgender receiving hormones. This is a general study and not exploring the causes.
If the person has HIV then the risk is almost 50 times higher. Suicide was 7 times higher. Being a transgender person is not a choice so we should have compassion that they have some serious issues to deal with and we should help reduce their stress and problems.
TRANS HORMONES ASSOCIATED WITH WEIGHT GAIN (FAT)
This is true especially for trans males who are on testosterone. The prevalence of obesity in this group is high. Trans females gained weight more slowly on hormones. The authors recommend good lifestyle habits to keep at a healthy weight. Not being on hormones is almost unthinkable if it helps the person be who they are.
SOME STATES PAY LEGAL FEES FOR IMMIGRANTS
Colorado, e.g., pays attorneys to help migrants with problems of deportation, unemployment benefit claims, disability denials, etc. Many are mono-lingual Spanish speakers. This service helps keep families together and helps people access legal benefits.
It has been proven that Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)is as good or better than sleeping pills for insomnia. CBT is a counseling strategy that psychologists use to improve thinking and behaviors. A new study showed that CBT over the phone was as good as in-person. This makes CBT more available and more convenient for patients and providers.
LARGE STUDY SHOWS THAT MASKS PREVENT COVID
This study in several areas of India, which has a strong delta Covid outbreak, showed that in 340,000 people that the villages that used masks more were protected from Covid, hospitalizations, and death. This study had people handing out free masks and encouraging them and reminding them to wear the masks.
AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL SYSTEM HELPS HOSPITAL BED AND STAFF USE
An obstetrician told his wife about difficulties assigning beds, delivery rooms, and staff in his delivery unit. His wife who worked at Boeing had helped design software to handle the chaos of airplanes coming and going. They got a grant to explore applying the airport solution to the delivery unit and the final product worked well and was accepted by the staff. It resulted in happier patients and staff due to lower waste of time and spaces.
Keep those questions coming and be safe!
Daniel Pearce, D.O., FACOI, AAHIVMS
Clinical Associate Professor of Medicine, Loma Linda University School of Medicine Adjunct Professor of Internal Medicine and HIV, Touro University California College of Osteopathic Medicine and Midwestern University Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine HIV, Hepatitis B,C, Transgender, Suboxone Specialist, Borrego Health (Riverside, San Bernardino, San Jacinto) Member, Coachella Valley Clinical Research Initiative