At least 1,008 out LGBTQ people are running in the 2022 midterms
Washington, DC – Today LGBTQ Victory Fund, the only national organization dedicated to electing LGBTQ leaders to public office, released exclusive data about out LGBTQ people running for office in 2022. With at least 1,008 out LGBTQ people running so far, there are more LGBTQ candidates running than in any other election cycle in U.S. history – and they are significantly more diverse in terms of race and ethnicity, gender identity and sexual orientation, with some exceptions. Prior records included 2020 when 1,006 out LGBTQ people ran for office and 2018 when 716 ran. Click here to read the full memo on 2022 LGBTQ candidate data.
• There are over 100 more LGBTQ people of color running in 2022 than in 2020, a 58% increase to 2020 and a 225% increase to 2018.
• Compared to 2020, there has been a 66% increase in Black/African American/Afro-Caribbean candidates, a 78% increase in Asian American/Pacific Islander candidates and a 34% increase in Latinx/Hispanic candidates.
• 55 trans people are running in 2022, a 62% increase to 2020 and a 15% increase to 2018.
• There has been a sharp increase in gender non-conforming candidates, with 20 running in 2022 compared to zero in 2020 and two in 2018.
• Bisexual candidates continue to increase with 103 running in 2022, a 32% increase to 2020 and a 264% increase to 2018.
• Since 2020, there has been a 73% increase in LGBTQ people running for federal office, a 12% increase in LGBTQ people running for state legislatures and a whopping 543% increase in LGBTQ people running for statewide office.